Thursday, April 12, 2012

April Fools?

Just wanted to post a quick update on the garden. So far so good on everything but the squash. The plants are huge and there are a ton of small squash, but they aren't getting bigger because the bee's have abandoned me. No bee's = no squash pollination. I'm hoping it's just a cruel April Fool's joke and they will come back soon. The first picture below was planting day and the second picture is what they look like now.





Eggplant are growing and starting to flower. Shouldn't be too much longer until I have a few baby eggplant starting to show.


 Tomatoes are starting to fruit. Here's a few cherry tomatoes that will be ready in a week or so.


I planted the corn a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it's growth so far. I need to run by the feed store tomorrow after work to pick up a bag of 32-0-0 (high nitrogen) fertilizer and give it a good side dressing this weekend. The pictures below are in sequence. First picture was a week or so after planting. The second and third pictures were taken today




Here is the garlic I planted back in November. I'm hoping it will be ready in a month or two. Not really sure though because this is my first attempt at growing garlic. It's hard to resist the urge to pull up a stalk to see how far along it is, but I'll wait for the garlic to tell me when it's ready to be pulled up.


Last but not least, just another reason why I love living out in the country. A quick 10 minute walk around the property nets me a handful of fresh dewberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment