Sunday, January 15, 2012

Calamondin - An Explosion of Flavor

Hello friends! It's been a while since my last post, but Spring is right around the corner and I'm getting excited about the upcoming gardening season. I have a couple of ongoing projects right now. I'm putting a fence around my garden to keep out the monsters (dogs) who like to play "chase" in the middle of my vegetables. I'm also going to try and grow all of my vegetables from seed this year. Last year I spent $50+ on plants and I've vowed not to do that again since there is an alternative. I have a wire shelving unit in my closet and I've hung fluorescent lights to simulate sunlight. My seeds have arrived and I've set my planting date as January 28th. In case you were wondering where the seeds came from, I ordered online from Trade Winds Fruit (www.tradewindsfruit.com). I highly recommend this company if you are looking for vegetable seeds. Because my order was over $10.00, I did not have to pay for shipping. They took less than a week to arrive and were neatly packaged and labeled. I'll keep you updated on the quest to grow my own vegetable plants.

Let's get to the meat of this blog post, the lovely Calamondin. If you love tart citrus you will love the Calamondin. To me, it tastes like a cross between a Satsuma and Lemon. The peel is sweet and the segments are sour. It may just be the perfect fruit, but that's just my humble opinion. I know you can make all sorts of tasty desserts using the fruit, but I like to just slice them in half and eat them raw. Sadly, the ones I ate in the picture below did not come from my tree. My Calamondin tree has only been in the ground for a year. I purchased my tree from Burris Farm Market in Loxley and hope to plant one or two more this year.


2 comments:

  1. Good luck with planting in a few weeks! Can't wait to follow along with your progress and read all about the yummy things you grow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea!! I'm very excited. Hopefully it won't be a complete bust. If so, I may have to adhere to the instructions in the famous W.C. Fields quote, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it."

      :)

      Delete